We’re celebrating big time at our house, so I decided just to go ahead and send out our ‘Christmas’ letter and give you the opportunity to celebrate with us.
First of all, today we learned the third set of results for my lung tumor biopsies showed the 3” tumor to be BENIGN. (I have a whole new appreciation for this word.) They are doing some more stains of this last tissue sample so the surgeon has more specific information.
I meet with the thoracic surgeon on August 9 after he returns from vacation, for a consultation and to schedule the surgery. A rather large incision will be made under my right arm between my ribs. They will remove the upper lobe of my lung. Of course, they will do biopsies of the tumor once it's out. The hospital stay is 5-6 days, recovery 4-5 weeks.
As many of you know, a “concerning” mass was found in my right lung on June 26 when I had a chest x-ray as part of the screening process to enroll in a clinical study for a new Parkinson's drug. (I was diagnosed with PD in May last year.)
Which brings me to another reason for celebration. The new Parkinson’s drug I’ve been waiting for -Azilect- is just now, this week, available in some pharmacies in the US, including our insurance company's.
By 8:00 tomorrow morning I will have a prescription for it in hand, the very first one written by my neurologist.
Its release had been expected for the last 18 months. Last November I was thrilled to learn that I could enroll in a clinical study through my neurologist. Such a study is the only way to get unreleased new drugs. Had I not enrolled in the study, I wouldn't have had a chest x-ray which revealed the tumor. (This tumor is unrelated to Parkinson's.)
Azilect is the first PD drug to treat the disease instead of just the symptoms. It blocks the breakdown of dopamine in the brain, making the most of what's there by slowing the progression of the disease.
Parkinson's is a disorder that affects nerve cells in the part of the brain controlling muscle movement. Basically, your muscles do fast-forward aging. My muscles often feel like an eighty-year-old woman's, although she would actually have more than twice as many dopamine-producing neurons, 60% to my 25%, which is how many your typical 115-year-old woman has. Seriously.
I’m in the first of the five stages of Parkinson’s and on no meds for it. The first med prescribed is usually for tremor. These meds lose their effectiveness in time so they are only given when the tremor interferes with the quality of life. My most troublesome symptoms are fatigue, muscle rigidity (stiffness) and the beginning of a tremor in my left hand. I expect all these will be lessened by Azilect.
Yet ANOTHER cause for celebration is Steve’s new position with Pittsburg Paint and Glass (PPG bought Iowa Paint last December). He begins immediately as their sales manager for IA, NE, and SD. He’s very excited for the opportunity and the challenge. And…this will be his first job change EVER with a pay increase- Yet ANOTHER cause for celebration!
And now…to our descendants.

Merry Christmas to us! Three new grandbabies this year. Yep, I sewed the outfits.

Ellie 8, Dan holding Natalie 1, Darin 3, Anne, Kara 5.
Dan is an accountant at McGladrey in Rochester, MN. Besides being a busy Mom, Anne works half-time at night as an RN at a Mayo Clinic ICU. Ellie will be a third grader and Kara goes to Kindergarten this year.


First of all, today we learned the third set of results for my lung tumor biopsies showed the 3” tumor to be BENIGN. (I have a whole new appreciation for this word.) They are doing some more stains of this last tissue sample so the surgeon has more specific information.
I meet with the thoracic surgeon on August 9 after he returns from vacation, for a consultation and to schedule the surgery. A rather large incision will be made under my right arm between my ribs. They will remove the upper lobe of my lung. Of course, they will do biopsies of the tumor once it's out. The hospital stay is 5-6 days, recovery 4-5 weeks.
As many of you know, a “concerning” mass was found in my right lung on June 26 when I had a chest x-ray as part of the screening process to enroll in a clinical study for a new Parkinson's drug. (I was diagnosed with PD in May last year.)
Which brings me to another reason for celebration. The new Parkinson’s drug I’ve been waiting for -Azilect- is just now, this week, available in some pharmacies in the US, including our insurance company's.
By 8:00 tomorrow morning I will have a prescription for it in hand, the very first one written by my neurologist.
Its release had been expected for the last 18 months. Last November I was thrilled to learn that I could enroll in a clinical study through my neurologist. Such a study is the only way to get unreleased new drugs. Had I not enrolled in the study, I wouldn't have had a chest x-ray which revealed the tumor. (This tumor is unrelated to Parkinson's.)
Azilect is the first PD drug to treat the disease instead of just the symptoms. It blocks the breakdown of dopamine in the brain, making the most of what's there by slowing the progression of the disease.
Parkinson's is a disorder that affects nerve cells in the part of the brain controlling muscle movement. Basically, your muscles do fast-forward aging. My muscles often feel like an eighty-year-old woman's, although she would actually have more than twice as many dopamine-producing neurons, 60% to my 25%, which is how many your typical 115-year-old woman has. Seriously.
I’m in the first of the five stages of Parkinson’s and on no meds for it. The first med prescribed is usually for tremor. These meds lose their effectiveness in time so they are only given when the tremor interferes with the quality of life. My most troublesome symptoms are fatigue, muscle rigidity (stiffness) and the beginning of a tremor in my left hand. I expect all these will be lessened by Azilect.
Yet ANOTHER cause for celebration is Steve’s new position with Pittsburg Paint and Glass (PPG bought Iowa Paint last December). He begins immediately as their sales manager for IA, NE, and SD. He’s very excited for the opportunity and the challenge. And…this will be his first job change EVER with a pay increase- Yet ANOTHER cause for celebration!
And now…to our descendants.

Merry Christmas to us! Three new grandbabies this year. Yep, I sewed the outfits.

Ellie 8, Dan holding Natalie 1, Darin 3, Anne, Kara 5.
Dan is an accountant at McGladrey in Rochester, MN. Besides being a busy Mom, Anne works half-time at night as an RN at a Mayo Clinic ICU. Ellie will be a third grader and Kara goes to Kindergarten this year.

Laurie, Shannon 1, Sean
Sean is a cabinet builder, guitar instructor, and a praiseband singer/songwriter and guitarist at our church, Westview in Waukee. Laurie works half-time as a web programmer with Amerus Capital Management, which was bought last week by Aviva (UK). She is hopeful her position and job flexibility are secure. They continue restore their 1917 Arts and Crafts home in Des Moines. Shannon hangs out at our house the two days that Laurie is at work.
Sean is a cabinet builder, guitar instructor, and a praiseband singer/songwriter and guitarist at our church, Westview in Waukee. Laurie works half-time as a web programmer with Amerus Capital Management, which was bought last week by Aviva (UK). She is hopeful her position and job flexibility are secure. They continue restore their 1917 Arts and Crafts home in Des Moines. Shannon hangs out at our house the two days that Laurie is at work.

John with Ezra, and Erika
John is an accountant for a firm in St. Paul. Erika loves being a stay-at-home Mom, teaches 12 students violin from her home studio, and is finishing her master’s degree in violin performance. They are nearing the completion of an Extreme Bathroom Makeover in their home in St. Paul.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
As most of you have figured out by now, I’ve been learning a lot, not by choice, about many medical terms in the last couple of weeks: asymptomatic, bronoscopy, pulmonary, biopsy, tumor, fibroma, benign, thoracic, hamartoma, resection. Becoming intimately involved with such terms can be anxiety-producing, as many of you know or can well imagine.
I've felt all your prayer support and I must tell you that I have experienced an amazing amount of peace, I guess you’d call it peace that surpasses understanding.
In this peace I've been able to take note of the myriad of delightful surprises in the last several weeks orchestrated by God just for me which have assured me that my relationship with him is vibrant. I’ll just share two with you.
On July 5 when we went to the doctor’s office to learn the results of the first biopsy, I was walking through the hospital parking garage with all sorts of thoughts about the newly discovered three-inch mass in my chest, mostly praying to hear the word “benign.”
As it happened, God had arranged for a woman nearby to emerge from her car, and have someone call her on her cell phone just as I walked past. The ringtone was unmistakable: The Hallelujah Chorus.
I smiled big and chuckled. It was like God was playing a cosmic game of ‘Name That Tune’ with me. I got it in four notes.
I thought, “Thank you! I love your attention to detail! And I’ll take that as a hint that I needn’t be anxious.” And, as it turned out, the doctor’s key word was “benign.” A couple days later when I sent out one of the several emails telling people about the gift of those results, the subject line read: Merry Christmas to me!
Then today, the day we were to hear the results of the third set of biopsies, I was on my morning walk and remembered the ringtone gift of the last time. I wondered if God would surprise me today, and reminded myself that I should be watching for it.
Not much later I was in the van on the way to doctor’s office, the Desperation CD From The Rooftops blaring. As I turned onto the I-35 on-ramp, I noticed something on the shoulder of the road in the grass. Something you rarely see on a hot, humid July morning. Something very out of place. A hat. Not just ANY hat. A furry red and white Santa hat.

I laughed out loud! Then burst into tears as I realized God was saying, “Merry Christmas to me!” God took my subject line and got creative with it.
He's like that. Creative.
Well, I was able to see through the tears and get to the hospital in one piece. Again I arrived in the parking garage, this time with almost zero anxiety. In the doctor’s office my blood pressure reading confirmed it: 112 over 70. We had to wait 25 minutes, but the doctor finally appeared and spoke the word again: "benign."
I am learning more and more about this God who is not only sovereign over the big things, but also delights in orchestrating joy-filled surprises custom made for those he loves.
This is my new favorite song from that blaring CD. Note all the pulmonary references.
Jesus your love
has come one step closer
I will trust
that you will never let me go
Jesus your love
has won me over
all my trust
has found no other
I will declare the beauty of the LORD
nothing compares to the beauty of the LORD
Jesus your love takes my breath away
now I'm living everyday for the beauty of the LORD
Jesus your love it takes my breath away
Jesus your love it takes my breath away
Jesus your love it takes my breath away
Jesus your love it takes my breath away
We hope this finds you well in the things that really matter.
John is an accountant for a firm in St. Paul. Erika loves being a stay-at-home Mom, teaches 12 students violin from her home studio, and is finishing her master’s degree in violin performance. They are nearing the completion of an Extreme Bathroom Makeover in their home in St. Paul.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
As most of you have figured out by now, I’ve been learning a lot, not by choice, about many medical terms in the last couple of weeks: asymptomatic, bronoscopy, pulmonary, biopsy, tumor, fibroma, benign, thoracic, hamartoma, resection. Becoming intimately involved with such terms can be anxiety-producing, as many of you know or can well imagine.
I've felt all your prayer support and I must tell you that I have experienced an amazing amount of peace, I guess you’d call it peace that surpasses understanding.
In this peace I've been able to take note of the myriad of delightful surprises in the last several weeks orchestrated by God just for me which have assured me that my relationship with him is vibrant. I’ll just share two with you.
On July 5 when we went to the doctor’s office to learn the results of the first biopsy, I was walking through the hospital parking garage with all sorts of thoughts about the newly discovered three-inch mass in my chest, mostly praying to hear the word “benign.”
As it happened, God had arranged for a woman nearby to emerge from her car, and have someone call her on her cell phone just as I walked past. The ringtone was unmistakable: The Hallelujah Chorus.
I smiled big and chuckled. It was like God was playing a cosmic game of ‘Name That Tune’ with me. I got it in four notes.
I thought, “Thank you! I love your attention to detail! And I’ll take that as a hint that I needn’t be anxious.” And, as it turned out, the doctor’s key word was “benign.” A couple days later when I sent out one of the several emails telling people about the gift of those results, the subject line read: Merry Christmas to me!
Then today, the day we were to hear the results of the third set of biopsies, I was on my morning walk and remembered the ringtone gift of the last time. I wondered if God would surprise me today, and reminded myself that I should be watching for it.
Not much later I was in the van on the way to doctor’s office, the Desperation CD From The Rooftops blaring. As I turned onto the I-35 on-ramp, I noticed something on the shoulder of the road in the grass. Something you rarely see on a hot, humid July morning. Something very out of place. A hat. Not just ANY hat. A furry red and white Santa hat.

I laughed out loud! Then burst into tears as I realized God was saying, “Merry Christmas to me!” God took my subject line and got creative with it.
He's like that. Creative.
Well, I was able to see through the tears and get to the hospital in one piece. Again I arrived in the parking garage, this time with almost zero anxiety. In the doctor’s office my blood pressure reading confirmed it: 112 over 70. We had to wait 25 minutes, but the doctor finally appeared and spoke the word again: "benign."
I am learning more and more about this God who is not only sovereign over the big things, but also delights in orchestrating joy-filled surprises custom made for those he loves.
This is my new favorite song from that blaring CD. Note all the pulmonary references.
Jesus your love
has come one step closer
I will trust
that you will never let me go
Jesus your love
has won me over
all my trust
has found no other
I will declare the beauty of the LORD
nothing compares to the beauty of the LORD
Jesus your love takes my breath away
now I'm living everyday for the beauty of the LORD
Jesus your love it takes my breath away
Jesus your love it takes my breath away
Jesus your love it takes my breath away
Jesus your love it takes my breath away
We hope this finds you well in the things that really matter.

No comments:
Post a Comment